Permanent Way Technical Specialist - Severn Valley Railway
Closing date: TBC
Apply here or please send your CV HR@svrlive.com
To support the Permanent Way Team Leader and Infrastructure Manager providing technical expertise and knowledge to ensure the track and structures are maintained to a high standard, working in a safe and proper manner in accordance with current Railway Rules, Safety Management System and Regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Help maintain the Railway’s permanent way and associated off track elements, track, platforms, buildings, bridges, culverts, drains and ditches, fences, roadways and paths.
- Carry out tasks as allocated by the Permanent Team Leader or Infrastructure Manager.
- Advise and provide expert knowledge on procedures, operations, and technical issues to ensure colleagues are aware of procedures.
- Act as a role model with regard to application of H&S processes and procedures especially with regard to safety critical activities.
- Undertake inspections, maintenance, repairs, and renewal works.
- Assist in maintaining records of work and have available for inspection, all documentation relevant for works carried out.
- Maintain good relationships with Permanent Way peers, external contractors and suppliers.
- Act as a mentor and coach to any apprentices, improvers, volunteers or other staff members of the Permanent Way Team.
- Maintain all tools, plant, vehicles, and other equipment of the Permanent Way Department, ensuring they are safe for use, returned to storage, and ready for the next job.
- Maintain Railway vehicles, plant, and machinery, by ensuring they are regularly serviced, retaining inspection reports and keep them clean and tidy, inside and out.
- Maintain and keep clean all buildings and mess facilities as used by the department and ensure all Railway property is securely stored.
- Perform safety critical duties appropriate to railway operations after suitable training.
- Identify possible hazards and establish safe working practices as necessary.
- Undertake any other task that may reasonably fall within the remit of the SVR Infrastructure Permanent Way.
- Participate in training programmes and skills acquisition to support the role.
- The maintenance of the track and structures to a high standard and to deadlines.
- All work carried out complies with the SVR company Safety Management System document and applicable statutory legislation regarding the maintenance of a safe working environment.
- Work to instructions and directions of the Permanent Way Team Leader who will set objective; be proactive in self-management of work and performance to achieve set targets and deadlines
- All applicable quality standards are maintained.
- Safety critical components are fitted to the required standards.
- Maintaining safe operation of the railway when under Engineers’ Possession.
- Attendance pattern to be 40 hours basic with flexible working based around the daily requirements of the job. Be available on occasions for work at weekends, bank holidays and other out of hours periods as and when required.
- Permanent Way Team Leader
- Infrastructure Manager, colleagues, contractors, and volunteers within SVR across all departments
Competent in the safe and appropriate use of:
- Hand tools
- Power tools
- On-track plant & machinery
- Equipment and chemicals.
Qualifications, knowledge, and experience required
● Must hold SVR Personal Track Safety Certification or willing to do immediate training.
● Other relevant training certification.