We are looking for a new PWI Journal Editor29 October 2018
PWI Journal Editor
Closing date: Monday 12th November
Apply here: email@example.com
The PWI Journal is the flagship quarterly publication for members of the Permanent Way Institution. Its main focus is on technical articles related to rail infrastructure engineering across the whole of the rail industry and related industries as well as being a key communication channel for information about and to the PWI and its members.
As Journal editor your principal focus will be to plan, coordinate, review and edit the technical and PWI content of the Journal. The successful candidate will work with the Technical Director to decide which technical articles should be pursued and which should get dropped to meet quality and technical accuracy standards. The goal is to provide exceptional, informative and engaging content to appeal to the wide demographic of the PWI.
You will work closely with the Marketing Director to ensure consistency of message. Desktop publishing is delivered in house by the Marketing Assistant.
- Coordinate print publishing cycle and manage content areas
- Set publication standards and establish goals and expectations
- Suggest articles and generate headline ideas in alignment with targeted audience’s preferences
- Ensure that content is checked for accuracy and errors
- Ensure that articles or pieces are proofread, edited and improved
- Recruit and manage writers and reporters
- Cooperate and liaise with the designer
- Comply with copyright laws
- Meet deadlines and budget requirement
- An in depth technical knowledge of infrastructure engineering, the railway industry, its companies and contacts
- Previous experience of writing for the rail press would be desirable
- Strong writing/editing/proofreading skills
- Hands on experience with Word and Excel
- Excellent written skills in English
- An eye for detail along with critical thinking Prioritising and multitasking